Thursday, September 24, 2020

My 'Social' Dilemma

I have updated and renewed and changed this blog so many times because perhaps I don't have a clear path in life. I got rid of all my posts regarding Fashion Photography and I'm currently jumping into new seas. Ok, maybe this has been a process that has been going on since almost the beginning of the year, but still.

Anyway, welcome (once again) to my blog which has been active since 2004, and has seen a lot of evolution throughout the years. I must say that right now, with what's going on with the world these days, my life as a digital illustrator is not that interesting as the fahion photograher one used to be. At least not yet. Maybe later? Perhaps.

But as there are no interesting experiences in my life right now (besides from sitting and painting) I realized I can also write about things that have been stuck in my head. So I will open this kind of articles kinda called 'head scratchers" because some virtual experiences make me do that exactly. 

The Social Dilemma. Focusing on the only social media I've been posting my artwork to, Instagram, have made me experience some new upbringings. I opened my illustration account in the beginning of May and while I thought it wouldn't be such a big deal, the most unimaginable thing happened, at least for me. At the 4 month mark, this account reached its first thousand followers. Also each one of the posts have hundreds of likes which is pretty uncommon to me. 

I must admit, this makes me feel like I'm doing things right, if not admired. I rely on these statements because it is in constant growth. But, there's something that stands out every week and kinda gives me mixed feelings.

Every week, I would receive several comments or direct messages from people requesting that I follow them (given the fact that they do not follow me first), feature them in my stories or to subscribe to their YouTube channels. While I understand I'm not the only one who they do this to and that this is their way to promote themselves, it just makes me cringe a bit.

I don't know but I've never found myself in this kind of situations where I ask random people for a follow, I only do that to friends. And it's not that I don't want to help them, it's just that people will follow you because of the quality of your work and because they genuinely admire you. I only follow friends and artists I truly admire because I want to keep as authentic and as true to myself as possible.

That is what I did, I worked my arse off to achieve a result in my paintings that really makes me happy. I let my work speak for myself, because when somebody follows me because of it, it's really more satisfying because I know I earned that follow. I didn't beg for it.

So fellow artists, I suggest you take priority on your artwork instead. Practice everyday and always learn, there are a lot of tutorials and material to learn from out there. I don't promise to make my own learning material still, but we'll see. Perhaps I could surprise you all of the sudden.

Anyway, with everything I said I hope I made myself clear. I will admire an outstanding artwork way more than an Instagram account with a million followers. Talent beats popularity for me.

No comments :